LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Never Trust a Pretty Wolf... - Elaine Cantrell I received a free eBook from Astraea Press in exchange for an unbiased, honest review. My thoughts are my own.

I had issues with this one. I was SO excited to read a story with Geocaching in it (for those of you unfamiliar with it, basically it's a almost like a GPS game/hunt where you use multi-million dollar satellites to find Tupperware in the woods - often filled with McDonald's toys.) Sounds like fun, right? It is... and I was eager to have a story include it. Started out really promising, a ginormous GPS hunt for charity with the ultimate prize of $1,000,000 to go to the charity of your choice. See, that sounds promising too... they can travel by car and boat and bike, but NO planes. So, I was getting all exciting thinking, "Woohoo!".

That lasted maybe the first 10 pages, and my enthusiasm waned. Then, at one point... the dig to find the next 'clue'. Now, for those of you that don't know- digging is a BIG NO-NO in Geocaching. Huge- it's like one of the top 5 rules. No digging. And I get that this is fiction, and creative license, and it was sort of a GPS Geocache meets a scavenger hunt... but for me it was like writing about a soccer gamer where everyone could touch the ball. It bugged. It irritated. And I was already twitchy with the book at that point.

Another problem for me... the characters. Honestly, I got the idea that the girl was a con artist or something at first. That's the impression I was getting, and then... *Gah* the characters were just all over the place. And REALLY- a US Marshall sees a group of guys running towards him and a female with guns (regardless if he's on vacation or not) and he just runs? Just turns tail and runs. He even had a weapon at that point, and a crime had recently been committed that they likely could have been the guilty party. And he runs.

Ultimately, I wanted to like it. It was a cute premise. I wanted to have a slightly shorter cute little romance with some suspense and such to slip between some 'heavier' reading... but finishing this book became a matter of honor rather than desire to find out what happens. This could just be because of my knowledge of Geocaching, and my preconceptions of how a US Marshall would act. You could read this and totally be charmed by it. I wish I could say I had been.