LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Awakening the Nightmare (Symmetria #1) - Lanie Malone 4½♥'s... Ignore the lackluster title and cover, it's more than worth the read! Update July 2012- cover has been changed, so that's not an issue as much now.

Where has this book been hiding? I am SO glad I stumbled across it and was allowed to read it in exchange for an honest review. I know the cover is just kind of *Meh* and the title is OK (it does actually correlate to the story)... but this book NEEDS to be read. If you like urban fantasy with hot vampires, strong non-human female protagonists (that kick serious butt), smokin' hot demons, fae, werewolves... pretty much the whole menagerie of paranormal creatures- then run, don't walk, and go out and buy yourself a copy. At only $2.99 on Amazon, that's a small price to pay for the amount of enjoyment you will get out of it.

When I first read the blurb, I was thinking, OK- I'll give it a chance. I wasn't really expecting anything spectacular... but oh, my was I WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! It has such an ensemble cast (there are the 'main' characters, but we also learn so much about the secondary characters.) I enjoyed every single one, and found myself wanting there to be spin-offs further exploring some of the secondary characters. Like Edge... we need more Edge.

I found it to be a wonderful mix of sexual tension, bedroom antics, action, suspense, thriller, and even some romance. There were aspects that were easily guessed, but surprises as well that balanced the story nicely. I really, really hope to see more from this author (series anyone? Hint, Hint!) There was also a nice reversal of 'traditional' emotional roles in the romance. The guy was making room in his heart, and being vulnerable while the girl was running from her feelings. It was a nice change of pace.

I consider this a hidden jewel of a book that deserves to be read by anyone and everyone that enjoys urban fantasy. I will most definitely be on the lookout for more books by Lanie Malone!

Re-read from July 1st - July 2nd
The only change from my previous reading is that a little of the 'mystery' surrounding Cory and her past is absent in the second reading because you already know how it ends. Still enjoyable the second time around.