LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Between - Cyndi Tefft Overview:
Lindsey is torn between two worlds: in one, she is a college student with a boyfriend that loves her and divorced parents. And by accident she is catapulted into the other, a fantastical world of imaginations and a hot Scottish hunk of highlander that speaks French to boot. Aiden ferries souls from their death to heaven. As she spends time with Aiden, her love begins to grow and blossom. Can love transcend the boundaries between life and death? And what if it was until 'life' do you part?

What I Thought
This is a charming story that quickly sucks you in. I found myself eagerly reading this book, fighting sleep to get just a little more in. The main characters (and even secondary characters like her parents) are well established in the book, and very likeable. Well... her mom may have been a harder sell on the likeable, but in the end she was. I just got so caught up in the story, trips to France during the "Sun King's" reign, remembered trips to Seattle lead to interesting reactions to cars and phones and such on Aiden's part. It ended up being a sweet, heartfelt romantic story that whisks you away with it's pages.

The down side, I can find one in just about any book. In Between, it's a very vanilla romance- don't read this expecting a 'bodice ripper', although there most definitely are sexual overtones. Think of the device used in movies where you see the couple kissing and making out, then the camera slides off to a view of the curtains blowing in the wind; Between is that kind of book. There is some 'hot and heavy' time, but there is NO ... smut for lack of a better word. I still really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to others; but I admit, I wanted smut. Really I did... it had all the ingredients for a good 'roll in hey' but we would only get to see them kiss, then head off for the hey.

So if you are looking for a vanilla romance story that is life affirming, and paints a loving, kind view of God and the afterlife (for those that would go to heaven, anyway) then I highly recommend trying out this book. If you are looking solely for sex, you may need to find your highlander six elsewhere.