LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1) - J.A. Beard 4½♥'s (I'm rounding up to 5 for Goodreads.)

The Emerald City is witty, entertaining, and an imaginative retelling of Wizard of Oz. No matter how well you know the original, you will be surprised and amused by this recreation of the beloved tale. It's a little high school/boarding school 'young' drama (like a High School Musical without the music) mixed with some urban fantasy magic; somehow it is more believable than the original tale but still more supernatural, too. It's really hard to describe, but any words I use should indicated that I had no problem reading this book. Once I made it past the first chapter I was hooked. The writing was really fresh with some 'hidden' gems buried in it. For example, instead of cute little furry Toto, there is dog statue name "Africa". Get it? If you don't, Google 80's music by Toto.

Some quotes I especially liked:

"Coffee. The little things always help to remind you the universe isn't always out to get you."

"I wondered if I should wander around with a six pack of ginger ale on me. A girl never knew when she would need to defend her honor."

"I half-expected Lydia to tell me a horde of rabid monkeys sent by Diana would be showing up any minute. Given the day I had, it almost wouldn't surprise me."

"I wanted something dramatic. Few things were more dramatic than a giant concrete troll moving in front of you."

If you enjoy YA stories, liked the original Wizard of Oz, and especially like urban fantasy then this is a book not to pass up reading. I will most definitely be re-reading this book again in the future.