LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Death Wish (The Vamp Saga, #1) - Elle Chardou I'm going to have to let this one sink in for a little first...
Intially, 3½♥'s (Rounded up to 4 for GoodReads)

This song kept going through my head while I was reading:

Hot N Cold by Katy Perry

"Someone call the doctor
Got a case of a love bi-polar
Stuck on a roller coaster
Can't get off this ride

You change your mind
Like a girl changes clothes"

There is even a quote to back this up:
"He ran hot and cold; fire or ice."

Okay, I've let this sink it, and I'm still torn by how I feel. One one hand, it's not a complete cookie cutter vampire novel, it makes an effort to distinguish itself from the other vampire novels out there and creates a unique myth behind vampirism. It also includes other supernaturals: shifters, weres, and possibly fae. So those are all good things. It has action and romance... a little something for everyone. And I particularly enjoyed references to other works, especially towards the beginning.

"They've been airing the same tired propaganda about themselves since Anne Rice, Stephanie Meyer, Charlaine Harris and Amanda Hocking, among others, have been writing books."

"I'm the Jason Stackhouse to my brother's Sookie."

...But (you knew this was coming), there is just something abrasive about the book. Now, I'm NO angel, and I can have a dirty mouth at times, but this book would make a sailor feel right at home. It really seemed to swear on nearly every page, reaching beyond character development into just bad language. And the Hot N Cold reference I made earlier. Had the character's emotional changes been a tennis match, my neck would have gotten whiplash. The main character especially just seemed so at odds with herself. Happy/sad, love/hate, good vampire freak/bad vampire freak, best friend/mistrusted enemy... I wasn't as invested emotionally with this book because of the language and the characters just being all over the personality/emotional map.

"Not all vampire fiction is fiction, my dear."

"I don't know what kind of Twilight fantasy you've concocted in your head but you're wrong. I am not the one."

"You'd have to be a muppet not to want a seat."

(What's up with all the muppet references, anyway? There was more than one quote implying being a muppet is a bad thing. I liked the muppets. It was amusing to see this so many times in the book, but what's up with that?)

So, overall... if you like vampires, and don't mind steamy heated bedroom action and bad language then by ALL means check it out. You may really like it. But if a well placed curse word makes you blush, skip this book.