LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Swirls - F.A. Hershey Hmmm...

Story was good and interesting, different- incredibly unique, in fact... but overall it didn't knock me in the head and say, "Love Me!" For the novelty and level of description, I'll give it 4♥'s but it just earned it by the skin of its teeth.

No worries of themes too big for younger britches. You can safely give this to a younger YA audience, as long as death and mild violence will not bother them. There is not much violence, but it exists. There were some parts of the story that didn't end up at all how I imagined, and other story paths that I saw coming a mile away.

The blurb really does not give too much away, and I don't want to spoil anything. The paranormal aspects seemed few and far between at first, while descriptions were vivid and I felt emotionally connected to the character, I was eager for it to get moving faster.

I am really struck by how 'different' this story was. If only the second half or so of this book was the pace for the whole thing I would be in love with this series. At this point I am interested in what happens, but I don't have a burning desire that I MUST get my hands on the next book. It was enjoyable, youthful, intriguing...the characters make you feel compassion... but it just seemed to somehow be missing something.

"If my life was a book, tomorrow would be a blank page, as if the author had forgotten to write the next chapter, had gotten bored by the story or hadn't thought it was worth writing on."