LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Crux - Julie Reece OK... ANY book that quotes Monty Python is a WINNER in my 'book'!

"We shall say 'ni' again to you if you do not appease us."

This is a REALLY fabulous YA story... and this YA is a very adult YA. I wouldn't worry about teens reading it, but there is some racy undertones.

"Bite your lip. It's hot. Makes me want to go kick some Viking ass."

The story revolves around Birdie, who has had a less than stellar life. It's so nice to see a somewhat younger character still set today that hasn't been born with a silver spoon or raised by the Cleaver family. There are big bad things out there, and Birdie knows it. She still keeps her wits about her and doesn't succumb to petty greed or other base emotions.

"Jiminy Crickets, I can't handle the pressure."

Do you have a magic mirror that sees into my brain, Julie? I say this ALL the time!

The story flows well, absolutely grabs you from the very first page. And the wit, I absolutely adore books that can make me laugh. And Monty Python and Lord of the Rings references are NEVER a bad thing.

"I've been watching you, Birdie."
"That answer just earned you ten more points on your already very impressive creep-o-meter score."

I really appreciated how VERY unique, and different this story was. I love vamps and shifters, but this was just brilliant. Unique slant all it's own, adds history and lore in small doses, adds a healthy helping of swoon-worthy romance, drags it through a field of fantasy while still keeping it's feet firmly grounded in the present. You get supernatural epic quest meets a rags to riches romance/drama soap... in a good way, definitely in a good way.

"No. Oh, hell no. 'You gotta be kidding me!' I clench my fists. "I am not Bilfro Baggins. You are not a wizard with a pointy hat, and this is not the one ring of power.'"

And Grey... must not leave out at least a teaser of the rock n' roll hotness that is Grey! Hey's hot, he's in a band, he's like rich... but like any good hot male lead, he has his own problems. Grey has that mysterious, can't look away allure that makes you want to be in Birdie's shoes.

"'Perfect technique,' he says, as I manipulate the sticks. 'You're golden.'
I want another lesson."

"And that, kids, is how it's done."