LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Stitch - Samantha Durante My, oh, my. First of all, I would like to thank Samantha for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a review. The initial blurb drew me in, although by the time I read it I had completely forgotten everything except that there was a ghost angle going on. Where it ends up took me by complete surprise and makes me want to beg Samantha for book 2.

I will admit, the beginning of the book drags some. I was sucked in, and kept trudging along but my enthusiasm was waning at one point. There were pages about mundane tasks, primping and preening... I was starting to get apprehensive at that point. But then there is just this 'click' where everything feel into place and the wool was removed from my eyes. It all seemed to makes sense; I understood the 'why' of the dragging parts and how they add depth to the story. There is method to the madness, and by the end of the book I was nearly beating myself up, "Why didn't I see that before? Now I totally get it!"

As you begin it seems an almost basic paranormal premise. Alessa has lost her family the year before, goes to college, joins a sorority ... yadda, yadda, yadda... sees a ghost, gets sucked into the mystery of 'who is the ghost'? Been there, done that, have the blog post. *BAM* That's me all of the sudden getting hit over the head and putting on the special 'They Live' glasses. From ho-hum paranormal it suddenly gets launched into this dytopian conspiracy. My brain needed a cigarette after that reach around!

It's like this book got rolled around in a pile of different genres... it's a little bit YA (or rather 'New Adult'), a little paranormal, a hefty spoonful of vanilla romance, add a dash of conspiracy theory suspense/thriller, and then douse it in dystopian. It surprised me how much I enjoyed this book; had anyone told me, "You're going to be head over heels by the end and be begging for book 2!" I would have totally rolled my eyes... "Yeah, right. We'll see, sounding a bit optimistic." But they would have been right. Apparently, I need to be reading more dystopian because it seems almost every one I pick up I've enjoyed.

Give it a chance and power past the slower sections, the ride is totally worth it.