LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Jericho Solus - Jeffery Moore Jericho Solus is a sprawling urban fantasy meets historical (urbanish, feudal maybe) fantasy meets science fiction... I would even throw a heavy seasoning of romance. I know that seems as clear as mud. It just seems to transcend genres, it doesn't fit within the confines of any one particular type of story.

My hat is off to Jeffery Moore on the level of detail in the historical descriptions of this book. He is either a history nut or did some major research on this book - it just boggles my mind. I have to admit, historical stories in general are not my usual 'bag', but I was enthralled regardless of the time period or even planet the characters may be on at the time. As with any real inclusion of large amounts of history, the subject of violence and war comes up. The descriptions of war, battles, even just the physical altercation scenes do obviously contain violence but it is not excessively brutal or bloody.

The book contains religious overtones without getting preachy or trying to convert me or having religion hijack the tale. I do enjoy the religious current running underneath the story, it add another rich layer- it's all those layers and little things adding up that make this book so appealing.

Overall it was quite enjoyable, I normally would not have read this book but I'm so glad I did. It starts out a little odd, takes some getting used to like dipping your toe into a bathtub or pool to gradually sink into its depths. Once you've taken the plunge, the current will sweep you along until you reached the still waters at the end.

Some quotes from the book:

"The room doesn't echo my voice, but instead seems to absorb the sound as if I speak into water."

"You are Jericho Solus."

"Riding the pulse? Did Andro just use slang?"

"'I don't want to be a gentleman... not now.'
She sucks in her lower lip.
'And you don't want a gentleman, Gebal.'"