LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
The Gates  - Rachael Wade Book 2 of the Resistance Trilogy...

Okay, so you may or may not know I was on the fence about the last book Amaranth.
In the first installment, there were issues (for me) of characters coming across as victims and not seeming to stand up and assert themselves. After reading the second book in the series, I'm ready to edit my original rating of Amaranth. No more fence, Book 1 gets a solid 4 stars now. "Why?" you may ask of my changing my rating of Amaranth after reading The Gates... Book 2 was just that good. I'm fully convinced now that this series, like many other series, just suffered from "first book syndrome." Many times the first book just isn't as fabulous as the series ends up being.

My original concerns of Camille being a 'victim' are mostly laid to rest with this book. She 'manned' up and 'grew a pair'... metaphorically speaking. She really seems to grow up just so much in The Gates, her character is so much stronger and more modern. I just really, really connected with Camille in this book as compared with Amaranth.

The Gates also has a much faster pace, it seemed to me, than that of Amaranth. There is action on more than one level (hint,hint, wink, wink) and the entire cast of characters seem to shake up some pre-conceived notions from the first book. I found myself starting to understand and almost sympathize with some characters, wanting to scratch the face off others... it really drew me in to the story that unfolded. Some plot developments were easy to guess, and others still surprised me. I had no problems finishing this book, or wanting to continue reading; I was eagerly absorbing each page and found myself staying up just a little later than I planned (... just one more chapter!)

Overall, this is a great follow-up to Amaranth. It was so good that it even changed my view on book one. It's a definite page turner, a little steamier than book 1, and a whole lot more 'sassy' attitude (in a good way) with Camille. If you've read and even somewhat enjoyed the first book in the Resistance Trilogy, I highly recommend continuing the series with The Gates!