LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Until There Was You (Coming Home, #2) - Jessica Scott I received an ARC from the author in exchange for a review. My thoughts are my own, and I received no compensation.

This story revolves around military characters with personal demons.
Rather than relying on the common used of 'insta-love', which is especially common with more 'alpha' type male characters. Let's face it, military men are quite often very alpha. Instead, it was a really in-depth exploration of the couple and their push/pull relationship. It was an uphill battle for them to get together, and they had to fight tooth and nail for their HEA.

Overall, I liked it. But, I found out that military stories, even romances are just not my favorite. All the 'soldier' stuff, which added immensely to the story and helped to explain the motivations of the characters was necessary, but I had to fight my urge to 'skip to the good stuff'. The writing I found to be very solid, and the romance and tortured past angles piqued my curiosity early on driving me to look past my personal preference.

I have to mention, how lovely it is to see another strong female lead. She was stubborn, and fiery, and tough-as-nails, and I LOVED that! Many of the characters surprised me. Those that I had erroneously judged and looked down on caused me to do a 180 by the end of the book. It really made me look past stereotypes and see characters in a whole new light.

I would recommend it for anyone who likes a contemporary military romance. Fans of rock hard abs and haunted heroes will find a home in this book as well.