LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Coveted - Shawntelle Madison I have to admit... it was slow going at first. Natalya is a hard character to sympathize with initially- at least for me. OCD female, Russian werewolf and hoarder of beautiful Christmas ornaments. It's much to take in and grow fond of. But somehow, by the end (despite my doubts) I eagerly read and even open up book #2 upon completion. A solid 4♥'s on this first installment of the Coveted series.

What I really liked about this series:
While it's not a traditional romance by any means, there are still moments that hold such romantic promise, and some spicy memories as an added bonus. With romance being on the back burner, it allowed for more world building and the opportunity to meet many characters. Despite the plethora of supernatural critters, following along without getting overwhelmed was surprisingly easy. Also, you have to give a special nod to complete originality of pairing a werewolf with severe OCD. I also found Nick to be like a more girl-knowledgeable (and probably more attractive) version of Dresden. Not quite as snarky as Dresden and a series dose of OCD in it's place. And something must be said about the variety, a near buffet of supernatural for every persuasion. If you are looking for a challenge that requires some sort of shifter/goblin/mermaid/muse/dwarf (and more) then you may well find it in this book. There are some moments of humor that made me smile and on occasion laugh, which is always a nice addition to any story.

What I was not in love with:
It's really, really not easy to sympathize with Nat with the lengthy descriptions of her OCD. Yes, at adds depth to the story, but for me I was a little sick of the OCD after a while. Monk, she is not (if anyone out there was a fan of the OCD, comedic mystery TV show) and it was an uphill battle. Also, I 'get' the whole ranking in werewolf society; it's nearly to be expected - but Nat took meek to a new all-time low. I wanted to scream at her to grow a backbone and be the strong wolf I know is in there somewhere! And my dissatisfaction was not reserved for only Nat. Thorne... other than the meager look into the past passion and the obvious physical attraction, I'm just not 'sold' on him being the guy for her. All the Erica drama, pack drama, OCD drama, oh, let's not forget one out of left field 'revelation' that made me huff in frustration while reading. Thorne should beg and grovel, and Nat needs to put on her big-girl (slightly less OCD) panties.

The latter half of the book providing more action which can be harder to wait for. I do ultimately feel the entire read was worth it, and it did earn the full 4♥'s. I was intrigued enough with Natalya by the end to want to immediately pick up book 2 and continue the series. It may be a harder sell, but I think it has real possibilities. I'm rather interested to see if anything further happens with Nick and if Thorne gets the kick in the pants I think he deserves.

I received this eBook from NetGalley for free in exchange for an honest review.