LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Release Me - J. Kenner If 50 Shades of Grey and Bared to You had a love child, this book would be it.

Okay, had to let this one sink in and marinate a little. I've seen other people that agree, and some that say adamantly that this is nothing like either of those books, so I think I should clarify why I say this is the 'love child' book of two other popular romances and to make clear that this is still a relatively unique story.

Just as in Bared to You, there are scarred characters. Different reasons, different stories; the characters themselves are not the same save for Ava and Nikki both being 'damaged.' Christian and Damien are both mega-rich, driven, and determined to get what they want. So once again, characters share traits, but they are NOT the same characters. There are a few other things that reminded me of those two books along the way, but Release Me is entirely it's own book.

I found the chemistry to be good, there was no shortage of 'hot' scenes throughout the book, however I was ruffled about the 'rushed' nature of everything. It had a wee bit of creep factor from that, but not enough to prevent enjoying the book. Nikki's past is quite intense, as is her way of coping with it - self mutilation (cutting). That aspect of the story rang quite true and natural; I really feel it was handled well within the story to nurture sympathy rather than loathing within the reader.

There was something about maybe the plot, I can't put my finger on it but something felt just missing to me. It was good, it was entertaining, but it didn't blow me away. I will absolutely continue it (should it become a series) and would most definitely read other books by this author. If you are a fan of spicier romance, and a little kink, add a rich, domineering, filthy rich alpha male, and a beautiful heroine with a haunted past... then run right out and check this out.

I received a free eBook from Random House via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.