LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Insanity (Asylum, #1) - Lauren Hammond What a frakkin' mindfuck. Seriously. Did I mention steamy? Steamier, WAY steamier than I anticipated. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this book.

To me, this is a very scary book. Those deep dark fears, that society will fail us. We'll find ourselves fallen through the cracks, that civilization has risen up against us in this, "What did I do to piss off Karma so bad?" Addy finds herself in an insane asylum... it's like a horror movie producer's wet dream. Young adult female, abused, in a 'star crossed' love affair with the rich boy next door. What is true? What is fantasy? Is Addy truly sane and trapped because of some mistake? Or is there something more, that she truly belongs there.

I'm having such a hard time coming up with the words to describe this book without giving spoilers, because learning most of it as you go is necessary to empathize with Addy. The mother in me wanted to protect her from her father and make her see that life like that is NOT right. It seemed like Daimon was starting to do that, we learn disjointedly... but he needed to hurry the f%ck up. Addy needs saving, from everything.

You may ask, why the 4 stars? Why not five? There were a few spots that dragged a little for me. Not nearly enough to slow me down, but there was more than one (or twenty) confusing moments. Obviously, due to this story, it's going to be puzzling- comes with the territory, but I guess I just got too frustrated at a few moments. Also, while it was steamier than I expected, somehow they left this awkward and almost dirty aftertaste. It's just my personal reaction, but it wasn't enough to really hinder my enjoyment. I might even go as far as 4½ stars on this.

It is SO successful how this book kept me so engaged, so focused trying to pick up every breadcrumb given to us to piece everything together. It totally warps your noodle. At the major revelation near the end, I felt like I got hit in the chest with a 2x4. Did NOT see that truck coming.

Another warning, this is pretty much still cliffhanger city. Not so huge that I want to throw my Kindle, but enough where I'm not going to be satisfied until I get my hands on the next book in the series. If you're looking for something dark, and unconventional, then I'd highly recommend picking up this book!