LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
The Athena Effect  - Derrolyn Anderson I received this book for free from the author in exchange for a honest review.

I'd go as far as 4½♥'s on this. It is technically a YA story, but I think this is one that adults can easily enjoy. This is a first of a series that I am eagerly looking forward to continue.

With all the auras splashing color everywhere, this book reminds me of a Skittles commercial, "Taste the rainbow!" In fact, if I had to sum up the book with one slogan, that would be it. I've forgotten what color contentment is, but I would be surrounded by a cloud of it. It was just plain different, definitely in a great way.

Bad boy LOVE .... the motorcycle and tattoos! There were a high amount of what seemed to be more stereotypical characters: the 'bad boy', the 'innocent girl', the 'lecherous step-father-like figure', and the 'mad scientist'; while on the surface not appearing as unique, the book adds just enough spin the break the most of the characters out of their molds. Cal/Cali is so strong and intelligent but simultaneously naive and ignorant. Hard combo to pull off, but Derrolyn succeeded!

There are mature themes and the book leads into a much bigger story. Almost odd jump - beginning with a off-the-grid country girl and then ending how it does. It's very an engrossing tale that I would recommend to others.

5/5/13: Re-read- I still enjoyed this thoroughly in my re-read, although I did find myself more sympathetic to the twins this go-round compared to my first reading. I really like the way the romance builds in a realistic way, and I felt the auras was done well. I could 'accept' the story very easily, and I liked that the characters were combinations of unlikely things. How smart Cali is compared to her 'street smarts' being dismal, for example. I will definitely read it again in the future when book 3 comes out most likely!