LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Gameboard of the Gods - Richelle Mead Whoa. Heavy. Wow. Very... I haven't found the right word, but close ones are:

intense, heady, complex, engrossing, and compelling.

Very Brave New World feel, and even a dash of Clockwork Orange thrown in. BUT... it's just so meaty with the new world and new terms, alot to chew and digest in a story. It had a very different society and attitudes from us, like in Brave New World. It had 'society' looking down on non-society. It has levels of hierarchy within the society as well. And like Clockwork Orange, it's got 'new' words, and a glossary to go with them.

Another strange comparison that ran through my mind... the Kate Daniels series. It's similar in that there is tons of world building, so much so that there is a sacrifice, I felt of more in-depth characterization. I almost gave up during the first book of the Kate Daniels series because there was just SO much. But it was totally worth it, and I'm hooked on it. So, this is like that first Kate Daniels. I see potential, but I really think it's future books that will sway a reader to continue or swear a reader away from this series.

Another aspect that may be an automatic no-go for some readers: while this is NOT a religious book, there is much talk about religion. Religions are ALL considered cults except for 'government' church which is more of an etiquette, rules, and expectations pep-talk. I didn't find it offensive in any way, but religion is at best, frowned upon, at worst annihilated.

If you are a fan of Brave New World, Clockwork Orange, maybe even liked Delirium or The Dwellers series but want to try a 'grown-up' version, then I would recommend giving this a go.

I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.