LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
The Sweet Gum Tree - Katherine Allred Really good writing. Really good. Emotional, heart wrenching... but officially it's still only a 4½♥ read for me. I've had a hard time nailing down just why I feel it's not quite 5♥'s. I think part of it, is Alix. I had trouble empathizing with her. Sympathy was not issue, but empathy, to feel what she was feeling, I just couldn't do it. While I loved the Southern voice immensely, it was among my favorite things, I just couldn't agree with Alix. Several times.

This is a slow built romance, and a harsh journey of the soul of a couple in love. It's not pretty, but then, nothing real is pretty 100% of the time. It has some dark, ugly, underbelly of pride moments that are a punch to the gut. My heart may have been in my throat, but I didn't cry.

Honestly, I would recommend it. It's a powerful yet dark romance that travels from innocence to adult disenchantment. I don't know if I could take the journey again but would entreat all romance lovers to make it at least once.