LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
The Keepers (Alchemy Series) (Volume 1) - Donna Augustine I'd go a smidgen over 4, maybe even as high as 4½♥s.

Very unique premise; it was fresh, exciting, and enthralling. It really kept me guessing and there were some definite white-knuckle moments. I do need to warn readers... it's a bit cliffy. This is the first of a series, but I would recommend placing it on your TBR shelves, you don't want to miss this!

I feel I should warn others reading this review, I'm not particularly adept at noticing mild punctuation errors, or verb tenses, all that brouhaha... many of the reviewers that read this did mention some issues. I didn't notice them, or if I did it wasn't even enough to warrant making a mental note of them. The story, and the twists and turns and just plain innovative mythology kept me reading with no issue. So, maybe I'm just an 'easy' reader but I couldn't suck the story down fast enough by the end.

Sexual tension. In spades, but the actual act... eh, not so much. This book is a wee bit of a 'cock-tease' in the romance department. Hot, rich, alpha male: check. Apparent panty-melting talents: check. Vegas skimpy cocktail waitress outfits: check. Lingerie: check. All of these seem to indicate a HAWT book, and the tension alone will make you readjust your panties. But, why oh why did there have to be a but? The romance and/or between the sheets action is very drawn out. Like into the next book drawn out.

One other issue to address; while I find the storyline exotic and new, I still wished for MORE background, explanation, etc. This could also be tied into just being 'Book 1' in the series, and the answers may come with future installments. They darn well better, because I am seriously ready to continue this series and find out what happens!

Favorite Quotes:

"I'd always had a hard time with sarcasm. People told me I used it as a defense mechanism. I disagreed. I just thought it was funny."

"That's when my shopping spree had turned ugly, or awesome, depending on your viewpoint."

"This was beyond Murphy's Law. Lately, I felt like Murphy had written my entire life's script."

"We've all got skeletons, but I'm afraid you might have a whole god damn cemetery."

Book provided by the Author through PNR NaUBA group Author/Reader Exchange