LoonyAlana

Crazy Bibliophile and Book Pimp (Not So Anonymous)

The Hooker and the Hermit
Penny Reid, Luci Cosway
The Suicide Princess
Anthony Bryan
Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
Jocelyn Adams
Caged (Holloway Pack, #3)
J.A. Belfield
Accidentally on Purpose  - L.D. Davis, Serena Daniels I feel I need to warn everyone outright, I listened to the audio book, so perhaps some of my issues are due to this fact. Also, many have rated this higher, some even 5♥'s. I don't feel this was 'bad' writing, I just was not as bowled over by the characters, or the story as some.

Issue #1: Just when I think I can like different characters for different reasons... *Gah* I can't even properly communicate this. OK- there is a quote in the book, where one character calls another a "dirty penis head". Well... for me, everyone, and I do mean everyone (yes, Luke too) is a "dirty penis head" in this book. There are moments that I connected, and I was drawn into the book- but more like a car wreck you can't help but drive slowly and gawk at. I know I'm probably going to have some hardcore Luke lovers going after me on this- but I call them like I see them, and even he became a douchebag more than once. Repeatedly.

Issue #2: I really think this one rest solely on the fact that I listened to the book rather than reading- there were some conversations I had trouble following. I don't feel the narrator separated the voices for Kyle, Em, or Luke enough (in some instances, at least) and I was left confused. 'Who said that? Who is talking right now?' ran across my thoughts more than once.

Issue #3: The timeline. While I can see the reasoning behind it, and I have read other books that use a similar technique... there were times that I was just lost as to 'when' we were on the timeline. I wasn't a huge fan of leaving some things so 'hidden' until closer to the end. I felt some of it could have been released, during the time that it happened without impacting the overall narrative negatively.

Finally, I feel I must reiterate- it really wasn't bad writing. I can see why many love it, and why the story has haunted so many readers (in a good way.) I just wasn't among them. I was too frustrated, too mad. It did make me cry once or twice, so I did get connected on some level to the story. It just couldn't quite manage to crawl into my heart. If you can handle 'cheating' romances, then I highly recommend checking this out to make your own opinion. I am not in the majority on my rating of this book.